I can help you with:
- Feature writing
- Content creation (English language)
- Explanatory sign board writing for tourists (Japan-based)
- Engaging copywriting
- Newsletter writing
- Video scriptwriting
- Japanese food culture/history consulting
- Japan travel consulting/trip planning
- Travel-specific content design
- Book reviews
- Private tours
- Zoom event production
- Interviewing (in Japanese or English)
- Translation/[Transcreation] (Japanese → English)
- Interpreting in most everyday situations
Do drop me a line to discuss rates and see how we can work together.
Please refrain from sending me unsolicited press releases or adding me to mailing lists without consent. Thank you.
I’ve written for Guardian Labs, Japan Times, SBS Food, Lucky Peach, WILD Magazine, Roads & Kingdoms, and other magazines, newspapers, and websites.
I welcome commissions for articles on Japanese cuisine, travel, and culture, but also anything that you think I would be a good fit for.
A few things I have done under this broad umbrella:
- Designed itinerary/travel pack templates for a travel company
- Written a voiceover script for a PR tourism video promoting a town in Tokushima
- Created and translated content for the website of a ‘live kitchen’ restaurant in Ginza
- Researched and written explanatory tourist sign boards for various locations across Yamanashi prefecture
- Led content strategy and creation for a Singaporean second hand car dealer
- Crafted copy for government-funded website aimed at luxury travel professionals
- Developed tour materials on niche cultural subjects
- Written a lot of copy on hotels and restaurants in Japan
Clients include KITO Design Holdings, Yamanashi Prefectural Government, Timeless Tokyo, Walk Japan, Truly Tokyo, Inside Kyoto, Inside Osaka, ST Auto, Japan Journeys, Solo Inc., Boutique Japan, Giovanni Pellone Design, Setouchi DMO, Kuratabi Usuki, Ushibuka Haiya.
JP-EN Translations & Transcreations
I’ve translated copy, essays and interviews for a number of clients, including the Agency of Cultural Affairs and Theobald Fox Ltd. Subjects I have translated pieces on include: travel, food, Japanese culture, textiles, art, business anthropology, AI, religion, computer science. I particularly enjoy translating interviews and scripts. The nature of translation work means that I can’t publicly reveal most projects/clients, but am happy to speak about this in private.
Travel consulting and tour guiding
I consult privately and at Japan Travel Consulting. Basically, I do a lot of the heavy lifting when it comes to helping you plan your trip to Japan by answering your questions about where to go, what to do, what to eat, cultural questions, travel logistics, and so on. Instead of spending a week sifting through thousands of articles on Japan, you can just talk to me for an hour or two!
A one-hour phone or video consultation costs ¥20,000 (+10% sales tax) and can be conducted by Zoom, Skype, or Whatsapp. Payment must be made prior to the call; I accept credit card payments. Following this, I will send you a summary of our conversation, including locations discussed, a draft of any itinerary discussed, and the names of any accommodation options. You can then either book everything for yourself, or, if you have further trip planning requirements, book another hour of consulting. Please email me to set up a call.
As a tour guide, I prefer taking small, private tours (a maximum of 4–5) with an emphasis on good food. I am an introvert with limited time and energy––this is surprisingly true of many colleagues in the industry––so I am selective about who I take on. However, I love meeting the right clients for whom I can create a special, fun, and intimate introduction to my favourite places in Japan. I am otherwise happy to point consulting clients towards other industry colleagues who may be a better fit.
Online event production
I provide bilingual Japanese/English technical support for online events, particularly for but not limited to corporate training sessions. This involves taking care of background logistics for the main speaker/trainer, like managing breakout rooms, troubleshooting software issues for participants, and overall making sure the event runs as smoothly as possible.
Platforms used include Zoom, Webex, and MS Teams. I work primarily in Asia Pacific and European time zones (and occasionally PST), and have worked on training sessions for companies like Apple, Ericsson, HP, and more. Please contact me for freelance rates.